Hive for fruit crops, berries, melon and watermelon
The commercial hive for open field crops contains 1, 2 or 3 nests in a maximum activity status, consisting of:
- A fertilized queen in each nest
- Adult workers
- Worker pupae
The hive is supplied with enough food to meet their life cycle.
Species: Bombus terrestris. Agrobío produces different bumblebee species and subspecies, please, consult your local authorities which species are allowed.
- Fruits: cherry, nectarine, apricot, plum, kiwi, apple, pear.
- Almond trees.
- Watermelon and melon.
- Strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, blackberry.
BENEFITS OF USING BUMBLEBEES
- Better fruit quality.
- Higher production.
- Ensure the pollination and early fruit development.
Exterior of the hive:
- Waterproof: covered with plastic to protect the hive against bad weather conditions (water, snow, frost, dew, etc).
- Well-ventilated: ventilation system designed to increase the comfort and the pollination capacity of bumblebees.
- Hive: 1, 2 or 3 nests.
Inside of the hive:
- Colony: Each nest has a strong and healthy queen with a large amount of workers, larvae and eggs.
Opposite bumblebee access orientation:
- It avoids the bumblebee’s disorientation, they return home easier.
- The pollination activity is optimized thanks to the ability of having the nests oriented differently. It is also possible to orient the nests to the same direction.
- Energy savings: 50% reduction in flight distances increases the number of visits to flowers.
- Effective ventilation due to the difference of pressures between apertures and their opposites. The apertures have anti-insect mesh to protect the nests.
- Passive cooling: energy savings and increasing of comfort level inside the hive.
- Put the hives into the crop at the beginning of flowering time (1-5%).
- Place the hive on a firm support and protect from direct sunlight.
- Wait until the colony is calm before opening the hive (15 min. to 2 h.).
- Secure the hive to the ground or up high against the wind.
- It is advisable to have the access for bumblebees facing South-East.
- The entrance of the hive should always be visible to the bumblebee.
The main factors influencing the performance of the hive are:
- Food: nectar and pollen are essential for a proper development of the colony. Agrobío incorporates a substitute food with the most important nutrients so that the hives can achieve an appropiate performance during their life cycle.
- Isolation: Agrobío supplies hives specially designed for each season, isolating them from bad weather conditions and improving ventilation without excessive moisture condensation.
- The weather: the cold usually does not directly affect the hives. In nature you can find bumblebees visiting flowers at low temperatures. The lack of activity in winter is due to the inability of the plants to keep the flowers in peak condition.